Today marks the tenth and final day of the Top Ten Lists. Are you a little sad? I honestly am. I didn’t think i would enjoy doing these lists as much as I have. With that being said, let’s move on to the list for today. Today’s list is going to be Top Ten Ideas That Define Me As a Person. Ready or not, here we go:
- Every child can succeed – This one should be an obvious one since I am an educator, but you would be surprised at the philosophy of some teachers. This statement is what drives me everyday in the classroom. Every child can succeed, it is my job to find a pathway for them to follow to reach this success.
- It takes a village – This is the philosophy behind Ben and I’s parenting style. We don’t want to be the only ones to “raise” Mikayla, we want the input and help of those around us. We don’t know everything so we are relying on seasoned parents to help us out, as well as friends and family to offer a different perspective to Mikayla. I firmly believe that the more ideas and people we expose her to, the better the person she will become.
- Embrace you inner five year old – There, I said it, I am a five year old at heart. I like to have fun, act silly and say what is on my mind. If we are too serious in life then we won’t have much fun and be stressed out all the time. However, if we embrace our inner five year old we will be much happier. After all, have you ever really seen a stressed out, depressed, bored five year old? I teach five year olds everyday and have never seen this. Instead I have seen happy, carefree, loving, hopeful kids!
- Love your neighbor, even when you hate them – This is sometimes tough to do, really tough sometimes. I try to love on everyone around me and put others before myself. I am not perfect, but this is the way I strive to be.
- Don’t wish away today – I have really embraced this with the birth of my daughter. She is growing so fast, but I don’t want to wish away any stage of her life. I want to live in the present, not worry about the future or dwell on the past. We are taking it one day at a time, and I think all better off because of it.
- Live simply – In the past two years Ben and I have really made a conscious effort to down size our belongings. We don’t want “stuff” to get in the way of us doing the things that are most important. When we move to Africa we won’t have access to as much “stuff” and so we are preparing ourselves early. Plus, who needs a houseful of stuff that never gets used? I can’t imagine having storage units full of stuff that never gets used. If we don’t use it on a regular basis, do we really need it? If we don’t need it, we are getting rid of it! This goes beyond just “stuff” too. I try not to make things too complicated or intense. Now granted I am not always the best at this, but I try. Try being the key word!
- Take time to smell the roses – This is an old saying that dates way back, but a saying with a powerful message. Don’t go through life being so busy that you don’t take time out to relax and take a look at what is going on around you. My life moves at a fast pace, but I try and make time to relax and spend time with those that I hold dear to my heart.
- Happiness isn’t found in stuff – Please see Number 6. These are similar, but still a very important way to live my life.
- Dr. Seuss quote: “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” – Be who you are, not someone else. This took me awhile to figure out, but it is so true. You can’t be anyone but you! And if you try to be someone else you will be stressed and unhappy.
- Food fosters friendship – I love food, and have found that the best of friendships are formed and developed over a nice meal. Often when we have company we end up in the kitchen around the food because, food fosters friendships!
That concludes my Ten Ideas That Define Me As a Person, and the end of my Ten Top Ten Lists. I would love to hear yours, if you decide to share.